Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Metallic Paint vs Mirror Paint


This is a $3.00 old porch lantern I took apart; spray painted the metal with a bronze~brown:  I wanted to experiment with metallic paint (on the inside of the glass) before using the very EXPENSIVE Krylon "looking glass" mirror paint~~it didn't turn out too bad~~

Here's the "before" lantern~~



The "stars" are etched into the glass and could not be removed~~but, will be appropriate for winter candles and Christmas!

I cleaned the glass first; then spritzed with water and immediately used the metallic spray paint; the idea is create the "mercury glass look" but, the metallic spray paint gives a frosted effect; still very pretty and "antique~y" looking~~

MIRROR PAINT: small can cost me $11.99
METALLIC PAINT:  $3.99

Thus~~why I was trying a "cheaper version" before using the mirror paint on a bigger project.








Below:  look at these two, huge beauties (complete with dirt, dust and bird poop I noticed while sitting on my rug!)~~ they'll get a good scrubbing.

I'm going to tape off the beveled glass areas; paint the bronze~brown over the metal portions~~then use the EXPENSIVE mirror paint on the inside of the glass.
I'll do these next week and picture my progress!


Locally, it's hard to get the mirror paint~~our Walmart did not have it, neither did Home Depot, Ace Hardware, but I'm going to request the local stores to try and order it.  Anyway~~
sending my lantern project over to these fun parties:




Button

http://laurieannas.blogspot.com/


15 comments:

  1. OMGosh..I love that look you created..and yes you are right it will look lovely at Christmas time..I cant wait to see the mirror look as I know you are going to make it happen...very nice..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I seen a porch lantern similar to yours at the Habitat of Humanity Restore and was thinking what I could do with one like that. After seeing yours, I just may have to borrow your idea!

    Have a wonderful evening,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh It's perfect for Christmas!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Just lovely!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out fabulous! Love it for Christmas! Nothing better then spray paint!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I didn't know you could do that with metal paint. I like the soft snow look, especially perfect for the holidays. I would have never thought to do anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are lovely! Thanks for sharing your findings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun! I love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing the paint info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lantern turned out wonderfully! Can't wait to see the other 2 completed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First time to your blog. I have the same problem with our porch and garage lights. I never thought to spray pain them. Can’t wait to see how they turned out.

    I’m following you….
    cindy
    treasuresinmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lantern is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday; hope you'll be back this week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your lantern is beautiful! I love all of the lanterns that you have.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! 3 dollars? That looks great! And I like the stars! There is definitely a metallic/mirror spray paint difference. I bit the bullet and bought the mirror spray paint but I'm just scared to use it because there's not much in the can!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lantern looks great. You have a great eye. I would never have looked twice at that lantern at any sale.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I just got the answer to my question in one of your previous posts. You spritzed with water prior to painting, to get that fabulous "mercury glass" look.

    Your light turned out so pretty. Personally, I like the etched star...for holidays or any days. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete